Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Teen Jobs By Danielle Reffsin

                  “Mom can I borrow some money”, or “Dad, I’m going to the mall can you lend me some money,” are just some phrases that teens use to get money from their parents. This can cause stress for parents so they advise their children to get jobs.
                   Teens at Smithtown High School West have jobs for many reasons. They could be for money or even just to look good on their college application. Jobs can be very time consuming for some students because it could interfere with sports or school work. Nicole LaMonica, a student at Smithtown High school West states, “If I got a job I would be too overwhelmed with homework.”
                  Many teens are eager to get jobs because it can give them a sense of freedom and responsibility. In Smithtown, there are many job opportunities available. For example, restaurants and fast-food joints like Country Kitchen, Maninos and McDonalds offer jobs to teens around 14 and up. Also, jobs at Pets Supply Plus or the public library are available to students in Smithtown that are looking for jobs. Volunteer jobs at the local shelter, senior citizen center and Guide Dog Foundation are also available for any age. Minimum wage in New York State is $ 7.15 per hour for jobs in New York State. Kerianne O’Dwyer, a student at Smithtown West, who works at Main St. Pizzeria states,” My job consumes time but I get the chance to make friends. I also work 5-15 hours a week which is a lot for me.”
                      Even though some jobs offer little to no money, they are very rewarding in the end. By volunteering or getting a small job this often helps create new friends and also can build character. Also for college applications, teens can place the jobs that they do on there. Colleges look for students who are diverse in different areas of life. This could be like sports, academics, clubs and jobs are great things to put on your application. Morgan Hrynyshyn, a student at Smithtown High School West, worked at the Party Starts Here. This is a local business in Smithtown that hires teens to work at kids parties. She stated that, “I worked an hour and a half with my friends and it was a lot of fun. This also made me feel really active in my community.”
                   In New York State, teens under the age of 18 are only allowed to work a maximum 20 hours a week. This is to allow a student to get their homework done. Although they have time to do their homework, jobs are very strenuous so this can cause teens to become tired and less motivated to do their work or study for school. Emily Doveala a student at Smithtown West who babysits during the weekend states, “I don’t think I could take on a part- time or full job because it would interfere with my studies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment